Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Labour Ministry proposes to limit temporary work for unemployed

The Labour Ministry might ban temporary work for the unemployed, explaining they should not work if they are registered at the labour office and drawing unemployment benefits. If the proposal passes, it could go into effect in April 2013, the Sme daily reported.

The Labour Ministry might ban temporary work for the unemployed, explaining they should not work if they are registered at the labour office and drawing unemployment benefits. If the proposal passes, it could go into effect in April 2013, the Sme daily reported.

The current law allows every registered unemployed citizen who is entitled to unemployment benefits to work under specific conditions. For example, the monthly wage cannot exceed €143.40, and such a person cannot work more than 64 hours a month.

Currently over 68,000 jobless receive extra income through temporary working agreements, which is 40 percent more than last year, Sme wrote.

The ministry believes that the new provision will motivate unemployed people to find long-term jobs. Moreover, another reason for passing the ban, according to the ministry, is the increasing number of illegal labour, for which temporary workers earned more money than they claimed.

“This [current] provision has been shown to be discriminatory towards job-seekers, and it fails to meet the goal for which it was introduced,” said the ministry, as quoted by the TASR newswire. “Employers often take advantage of this option to organise work via work performance agreements outside of regular job contracts, converting regular jobs into jobs involving work-performance agreements.”

Yet, Luboš Sirota from Trenkwalder recruitment agency doubts the necessity of the ministry’s proposal, saying that only people with low qualifications will work for €150 a month.

“[With such a suggestion] every unemployed person will lose the possibility of earning additional money; nobody will offer him or her a full-time job,” Sirota said, as quoted by Sme.

He added that these people will be forced to remain at home and will lose whatever work habits they gained while working temporary jobs.

Source: Sme, TASR

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

No Slovaks among the victims of Manchester attack so far

The representatives of Slovakia have expressed their sympathy to the families of the victims.

Police guard close to the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain, on May 23, 2017, a day after an explosion.

It's not your Slovakia, Bystrica protesters told Kotleba

President Andrej Kiska spoke to the crowd at the protest gathering, asking Slovaks what kind of country they want to have.

Lajčák gives two versions of the Evka story

The Foreign Ministry gives opposing statements about suspicious procurement related to the Slovak Presidency over the EU Council.

Government of PM Robert Fico (left) endorses Lajčák as its official candidate.

Napoleon’s oak planted in Bratislava's Tyršovo Embankment Photo

An oak of Napoleonic legend was replanted, part of a commemoration spanning several days.

Planting "Naopoleon's oak" on May 20, 2017.