Slovakia will continue to be without a general prosecutor sixteen months after its parliament elected one, as President Ivan Gašparovič has announced his refusal to deal with the appointment of Jozef Čentéš even after receiving the Constitutional Court’s decision on the matter last week, the Sme daily reported on October 29.
“Mr Čentéš will have to patiently wait until all motions to the Constitutional Court are closed,” said spokesperson for president Marek Trubač, as quoted by Sme, referring to the motion filed by Čentéš in 2011.
Čentéš considers the president’s attitude absurd.
“I object to his inactivity,” he told Sme.
Constitutional lawyer Peter Kresák agrees with Čentéš, saying he does not “see any association between the appropriate framework for the president’s decision and the constitutional motion of Jozef Čentéš”. According to him seeking further reasons for delaying the decision is only a pretext.
Moreover, Kresár said he would label the president’s inactivity deliberate.
For more information about this story please see: Constitutional Court delivers ruling in general prosecutor case
Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.