It was the failure of the temporary support system that caused the collapse of a motorway bridge under construction between the villages of Kurimany and Iliašovce in Prešov Region last Friday, Transport, Construction and Regional Development Minister Jan Pociatek said at a press conference in Bratislava on Monday, November 5.
After the National Highway Company (NDS) earlier in the day banned the use of WEISE steel bridge support frameworks on all construction sites for which they have been ordered, the Transport Ministry later issued an across-the-board ban on its use in Slovakia. The Transport Ministry also called on the consortium of Váhostav and Bogl a Krýsl, which was commissioned with constructing the bridge, to pay compensation to relatives of the four workers who were killed in the incident and the others who were injured. If the compensation is insufficient, the government will step in and pay appropriate compensation, said Počiatek as quoted by the TASR newswire.
He further announced that the ministry will launch an investigation to determine whether the cheap cost of the construction compromised the quality of other construction projects, too. The Transport Ministry has requested the construction companies involved with the project to provide documentation on the methodology used on the bridge. The documents will subsequently be analysed by independent experts.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
6. Nov 2012 at 14:00