Protest in Bratislava ended with EU-flag burning

The second protest march under the slogan ‘Together for a Decent and Safe Life in Slovakia’ organised by Oskar Dobrovodský and Marián Mišún, ended in front of the Bratislava Castle gates with one protester burning the flag of the European Union. Mišún, along with another protester, could face a three-year prison sentence for this act, the TASR newswire reported.

The second protest march under the slogan ‘Together for a Decent and Safe Life in Slovakia’ organised by Oskar Dobrovodský and Marián Mišún, ended in front of the Bratislava Castle gates with one protester burning the flag of the European Union. Mišún, along with another protester, could face a three-year prison sentence for this act, the TASR newswire reported.

The largely peaceful protest began outside the Main Railway Station in Bratislava at 15:30 and was joined by approximately one hundred protesters. Organisers of the march said the purpose was to boost feelings of patriotism and national unity among people, and to point to a variety of social and economic problems that Slovakia could face in the future, TASR wrote.

Mišún declared the action to be a mere mass city walk, rather than a protest, which enabled the crowd to get as far as the Svätopluk statue just outside the Bratislava Castle. The organisers then delivered speeches once the demonstration had reached its destination.

The march has been criticised by Ján Krta, the deputy mayor of Bratislava’s Old Town borough.

“As this walk ended at Svätopluk’s statue with the organisers making speeches, it again assumed the characteristics of a protest,” Krta told TASR, adding that therefore “this will be dealt with in due proceedings as a misdemeanour”.

The first, largely peaceful protest took place on October 13, with a number of supporters of radical nationalist organisation Slovenská pospolitosť also joining. The organisers distanced themselves from any kind of extremism, however. In addition, the rally also met with opposition from human-rights activists.

The next protest is slated for November 17 and should take place in Malacky.

Source: TASR

For more information about this story please see: Anti-Roma demos lead to warning

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Who will take the swabs?

The government offers hundreds of euros to health care staff for testing. Curfew ends on Saturday for some. Take a look at testing sites and more.

PM Igor Matovič helped with testing in Tvrdošín.

People with negative tests can go to hairdresser or outdoor terraces

Those with a negative test result will have to follow rules introduced on October 15.

Companies fear drop in demand for their products and services the most

International chambers of commerce asked companies about their current situation as well as expectations.

Companies implemented anti-coronavirus measures.

The big testing: When and where to show up, and what if I don't want to? (FAQ)

Here is what we know about the practicalities of the nationwide testing so far. Testing also applies to foreigners and diplomats in Slovakia.

Pilot testing in Bardejov