Police have launched a prosecution over the shooting incident in Zvolen, which took place on November 22, and formally charged local resident Ivan H. with murder, spokesperson for the regional police headquarters in Banská Bystrica Jana Vrbická told the TASR newswire.
Ivan H., 56, pulled out a gun and opened fire at three of his former colleagues at TC Trade company headquarters in Zvolen on Thursday morning. The incident was preceded by talks regarding a financial settlement that Ivan H. demanded from TC Trade executives following his exit from the company earlier this year. The fatalities included a man and his son, aged 62 and 36, respectively, and another man 45 years of age.
The assailant was placed under arrest immediately after the incident. He is now in custody and may face a jail sentence of up to 25 years to life, TASR wrote.
Following the tragedy, Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák said that tougher regulations for gun possession will probably not prevent such tragedies. He added that he considers psychological testing to be a more effective step, and that the measures adopted after the massacre in Devínska Nová Ves, when a shooter killed seven people and injured another 15, sufficient. The declining number of homicides this year (59) is evidence of this, said the minister, as quoted by the Sme daily.
Source: TASR, Sme
Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
26. Nov 2012 at 14:00