THIS MOUNTAIN chalet under Borišov peak in the Veľká Fatra mountain range was built between 1937 and 1942. Construction was carried out according to the plans of architect Eduard Jančárik, and it was built for the Club of Czechoslovak Tourists in Martin.
In the first years of its existence, the chalet’s biggest flaw was an absence of water. Visitors were forced to fetch water by hand from a spring located 50 metres downhill from the chalet.
The chalet had no caretaker or janitorial staff, but accommodation was available to anyone who came; a key hung near the door. The modest furnishings, consisting of army beds, straw mattresses and a small fireplace, were enough for a brief stay.
During the Slovak National Uprising, guerrillas took the chalet and would send smoke signals from the nearby Ploská hill for aeroplanes that transported arms, food and military supplies to the rebels.
This postcard from the 1950s shows the chalet during winter.
17. Dec 2012 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan