New investment reported to be coming to eastern Slovakia

The Luxembourg-based firm EII is reportedly planning to build a new factory in eastern Slovakia, following its takeover by Chinese shareholders. The reported plan involves construction of a new plant employing 600 production workers and 60 administrative staff in Veľká Ida, a village in eastern Slovakia close to the U.S. Steel Košice factory.

The Luxembourg-based firm EII is reportedly planning to build a new factory in eastern Slovakia, following its takeover by Chinese shareholders. The reported plan involves construction of a new plant employing 600 production workers and 60 administrative staff in Veľká Ida, a village in eastern Slovakia close to the U.S. Steel Košice factory.

The Hospodárske Noviny daily reported on Thursday, January 17, that EII produces security systems for cars at its plant in nearby Kechnec, where it currently employs 500 people. After an investment worth €5.5 million, it will produce sensors for safety belts and for child seats in cars. EII has not officially confirmed its intention to build a new factory; but the daily wrote that reports that developer PointParkProperties SK (P3) was preparing construction of a new plant for Ell had been confirmed by two sources. The SITA newswire wrote on January 14 that an investment plan had been filed with state institutions assessing the environmental impacts of the potential production plant.

Sources: Hospodárske Noviny, SITA

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak