THE INDEPENDENT Slovak Republic celebrated its 20th anniversary on January 1, 2013. During the last 20 years Slovakia has become an automotive superpower, attracting three major car producers. But Slovaks also produce leading software products, and are masters in machine engineering and other industries. Here is a selection of companies and products developed and manufactured exclusively by Slovaks, as listed by the Hospodárske Noviny daily:
- ESET – Providing computer security solutions worldwide, ESET has proved that a Slovak firm can make it from garage start-up to world-beater.
- Sygic – Another world-famous Slovak IT company. It develops navigation software for mobile platforms.
- JJ Electronic – Proof that vacuum tubes have not died. A number of prominent manufacturers of audio products use tubes manufactured by this Čadca-based company.
- Acon – This Bratislava-based company manufactures state-of-the-art audio equipment.
- K-1 Engineering – Started with manufacturing replicas of Lamborghinis and Ferraris, but later developed its own sports car, the K-1 Attack.
- Spinea – This Prešov-based engineering company is engaged in the development, manufacturing and sales of high-precision reduction gears sold under the trademark TwinSpin.
- Grand Power – This company, which has just marked its 10th anniversary, produces K-100 guns, used by armed units in the US, Russia, Germany and other countries.
4. Feb 2013 at 0:00 | Compiled by Spectator staff