Supreme Court confirms €50,000 fine for RTVS over Cervanová programme

The Supreme Court on Wednesday, February 27, confirmed a €50,000 fine against public broadcaster Radio and Television of Slovakia (RTVS) for an instalment of its discussion programme 'Večer pod Lampou' from June 2011 which was dedicated to the Ľudmila Cervanová case, the TASR newswire reported.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday, February 27, confirmed a €50,000 fine against public broadcaster Radio and Television of Slovakia (RTVS) for an instalment of its discussion programme 'Večer pod Lampou' from June 2011 which was dedicated to the Ľudmila Cervanová case, the TASR newswire reported.

The fine was imposed by the Broadcasting and Retransmission Council in December 2011 for the programme. It featured interviews with four men who were convicted of murdering Cervanová but did not offer any opposing points of view. RTVS said it did invite others to have their say in the four-hour programme, but all of them turned down its offer, most claiming that they were sworn to secrecy in the case.

"I welcome the ruling of the Supreme Court as a step that confirms the attempts of the council to prevent the emergence of manipulative programmes affecting human dignity and the right to justice," said council member Miloš Mistrík. Cervanová, a medical student, was murdered in 1976. Seven men from Nitra were convicted of the crime but later claimed that the case against them had been fabricated by the communist secret police, the ŠtB.

Štefan Hrib, the TV show's host, who is also editor-in-chief of the weekly magazine Týždeň, has long campaigned for the men to be cleared of responsibility for the crime, despite their convictions having been confirmed by Slovak courts since the fall of the communist regime.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Six people involved in the surveillance of journalists, Kočner paid thousands

People who followed journalists for Kočner are trying to rid themselves of guilt.

Peter Tóth

Trump will meet Pellegrini at the White House

The two politicians will discuss defence and economic cooperation this May.

The White House

After historical sights in Slovakia have burned, is there better fire protection?

Kunerad Castle in the Žilina Region has burned down twice in eight years, and Krásna Hôrka is still undergoing construction seven years after burning.

Krásna Hôrka Castle caught fire in March 2012.

Taxpayers still pay for former PM Fico's bodyguards

The Interior Ministry refuses to say why or reveal how much Fico's security costs.

Smer head Robert Fico.