Poliačik threatens to take legal action against Paška and Fico

Opposition Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) MP Martin Poliačik announced on Wednesday, March 13 that after the ongoing parliamentary session he plans to sue Speaker of Parliament Pavol Paška and Prime Minister Robert Fico for slander.

Opposition Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) MP Martin Poliačik announced on Wednesday, March 13 that after the ongoing parliamentary session he plans to sue Speaker of Parliament Pavol Paška and Prime Minister Robert Fico for slander.

"I won’t let lies and nonsense be spread about me only because somebody needs to score political points. It’s true that as an MP I must be ready to face a certain dose of criticism and interference with my privacy, but this can only be done by the public, not two of the top three constitutional officials," said the MP, as quoted by the TASR newswire. Poliačik was reacting to statements by Paška and Fico linking him to drug abuse. "May I organise a vote on whether you’ve resolved your drug issues? Most probably not," Paška remarked in Parliament on Tuesday.

Poliačik became a target of criticism after providing an interview for the Sme daily last year in which he confessed to experimenting with heroin and other drugs in the past. He also stated that pure heroin is "harmless in principle, or at least far less harmful" than mixed heroin, which he described as "filth".

Paška, when asked for comments on Poliačik’s plans to file a lawsuit against him, said: "Let him try." MPs and public officials are normally immune from prosecution for statements made in parliament.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Massive gatherings remember Kuciak and Kušnírová: We did not forget!

One year after the murder of journalist Ján Kuciak, large protests took place around Slovakia.

Protest gathering in Bratislava, February 21, 2019.

Journalists one year after the murder: We will not forget

More than 480 journalists have signed the statement issued exactly one year after the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.