NEWS IN SHORT

Slovak 'escapes' from Chad

JOZEF Ličko Jr, a Slovak citizen who was prevented by the authorities in Chad from leaving the country, returned home to his family on March 16. He was described as having ‘escaped’ across the border to Cameroon, the Sme daily reported on March 20.

JOZEF Ličko Jr, a Slovak citizen who was prevented by the authorities in Chad from leaving the country, returned home to his family on March 16. He was described as having ‘escaped’ across the border to Cameroon, the Sme daily reported on March 20.

“From Slovak diplomats we learned that they had done everything they could,” said his father, Jozef Ličko Sr, as quoted by Sme. “We [the family] provided him with a Cameroonian visa, and he literally escaped through Cameroon. The diplomats did not help us; we had to help ourselves.”

Ličko went to Chad last year as an employee of HONTstav, the main subcontractor to another firm, Soliinvest, which had received a contract to construct a football stadium in the country’s capital, N’Djamena. At the end of last December Soliinvest lodged a complaint against its Slovak partner with Chad’s prosecution office, saying it “doubted the company’s plans”.

Based on the complaint, the country’s authorities issued a ruling that banned Ličko from leaving Chad until the case was resolved. His movements within the country were not restricted.

“He could not depart from Chad because of the ban,” Ličko Sr told Sme. “At the airport, and even on the plane, they were checking Slovak diplomats [to prevent my] son from leaving.”

Ličko received the visa thanks to a Libyan colleague. He had to use a taxi, motorbikes as well as a bus, by which he travelled about 500 kilometres to Chad’s border with Cameroon. After crossing the border he took a flight back to Europe, Sme wrote.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak