THE CONSTRUCTION of the monastery and church in Štiavnické Bane began on April 15, 1735. It was built by the Hieronymites, a hermetic monastic order known for its contemplative lifestyle.
The monks were permitted by King Charles VI to come to Piarg – as Štiavnické Bane was formerly known – some time in 1734-35, to engage in pastoral work, thus satisfying the needs of the inhabitants of Piarg and its surrounding areas. Jesuits had served the area in the past, but due to their uncertain situation in much of Europe at that time, miners from the outskirts of the region were often left without a priest and without the chance to attend service.
In spite of financial support from local miners, construction of the monastery progressed very slowly.
The monastery’s budget enabled only 10 to 15 monks to live in Piarg.
In 1773 when the Jesuit order was suppressed, the Hieronymites took over their residence and services in nearby Vindšachta. Piarg’s small group of Hieronymites came to serve roughly 6,700 inhabitants until 1786, when due to an order from Vienna, their monastery in Piarg was abolished.
This postcard dates back to 1936 and is the work of Sergej Protopopov, a famous photographer of the Banská Štiavnica region.
25. Mar 2013 at 0:00 | By Branislav Chovan