Miškov fired as SaS deputy leader; Kollár considers his options

Former economy minister Juraj Miškov has been replaced as deputy leader of the Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party by former labour minister Jozef Mihál. Miškov was a leading supporter of Jozef Kollár, who bid unsuccessfully for the leadership against the incumbent, party founder Richard Sulík, earlier this month. Kollár himself said he is considering his options, including leaving the party, the TASR newswire reported on March 26.

Former economy minister Juraj Miškov has been replaced as deputy leader of the Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party by former labour minister Jozef Mihál. Miškov was a leading supporter of Jozef Kollár, who bid unsuccessfully for the leadership against the incumbent, party founder Richard Sulík, earlier this month. Kollár himself said he is considering his options, including leaving the party, the TASR newswire reported on March 26.

Miškov was fired from his post at a meeting held on March 25. According to Kollár, the decision to dismiss Miškov represents a violation by Sulík of a pledge not to purge his supporters.

“This has in fact happened and, moreover, it came without any reason given,” Kollár explained.

Sulík responded that he had proposed dismissing all the party’s deputy leaders, adding that Miškov’s dismissal cannot be viewed as an attempt to eliminate Kollár’s people. He claimed that it is only natural that when the tenure of the party’s chairman ends, the tenures of its deputy chairs do so too.

Sulík said he wants people “who have my full trust” to be deputy chairs, so he proposed Jozef Mihál and Ľubomír Galko. Sulík noted, however, that he first offered one of the posts to Kollár, but he refused.

When asked by TASR whether he would leave the party, Kollár answered that “there is no need to rush”.

“We need to wait until emotions have cooled,” Kollár added. “All possibilities remain open.”

Source: TASR

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Journalists one year after the murder: We will not forget

More than 420 journalists have signed the statement issued exactly one year after the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

The murder of journalist changed Slovakia, but not all of it

There are still people who continue as if it’s business as usual.

Illustrative stock photo