Sme: State remains silent over Mochovce agreement

After several weeks of discussing problems and delays related to the completion of the third and fourth reactors at the Mochovce nuclear power station, the Economy Ministry and representatives of the Italian company Enel, which owns a majority stake in Slovenské Elektrárne, the firm which runs the plant, have reportedly struck an agreement. Economy Minister Tomáš Malatinský has prepared the text of the memorandum with which, he said, Enel agrees, the Sme daily reported on April 3.

After several weeks of discussing problems and delays related to the completion of the third and fourth reactors at the Mochovce nuclear power station, the Economy Ministry and representatives of the Italian company Enel, which owns a majority stake in Slovenské Elektrárne, the firm which runs the plant, have reportedly struck an agreement. Economy Minister Tomáš Malatinský has prepared the text of the memorandum with which, he said, Enel agrees, the Sme daily reported on April 3.

Malatinský has not, however, published the text of the memorandum, claiming that it is commercially confidential. He would only say that it “relates to the statements Enel has released before”. The company, for example, had previously said that construction would cost €3.8 billion. An additional €700 million should be paid by Slovenské Elektrárne, whose shareholders (Enel and the government) would give up dividends in following years. The two new nuclear reactors should start operating commercially in 2015, Sme wrote.

Enel has not commented on the memorandum. The only thing it has said is that the final price of the construction increased because of stress tests ordered after the tragedy in Fukushima, Japan.

The minister will present the memorandum at a cabinet meeting due to take place on April 3, Sme reported.

Source: Sme

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Six people involved in the surveillance of journalists, Kočner paid thousands

People who followed journalists for Kočner are trying to rid themselves of guilt.

Peter Tóth

Trump will meet Pellegrini at the White House

The two politicians will discuss defence and economic cooperation this May.

The White House

After historical sights in Slovakia have burned, is there better fire protection?

Kunerad Castle in the Žilina Region has burned down twice in eight years, and Krásna Hôrka is still undergoing construction seven years after burning.

Krásna Hôrka Castle caught fire in March 2012.

Taxpayers still pay for former PM Fico's bodyguards

The Interior Ministry refuses to say why or reveal how much Fico's security costs.

Smer head Robert Fico.