Protest march by Roma planned for Košice on Monday

Following a march in Bratislava in early March, the extra-parliamentary Party of Roma Union in Slovakia (SRÚS) has called for another protest by Roma to take place on Monday, April 8, in Košice. SRÚS chairman František Tanko announced plans for the demonstration at a press conference in Bratislava on April 4. The protest will begin at 15:00 in front of the Constitutional Court.

Following a march in Bratislava in early March, the extra-parliamentary Party of Roma Union in Slovakia (SRÚS) has called for another protest by Roma to take place on Monday, April 8, in Košice. SRÚS chairman František Tanko announced plans for the demonstration at a press conference in Bratislava on April 4. The protest will begin at 15:00 in front of the Constitutional Court.

“In front of the Constitutional Court, we will protest against the court decision in the case of Milan Juhász," Tanko said, as quoted by the TASR newswire, adding that protest participants will file an official protest with the Constitutional Court against what they say is the short prison sentence Juhász received last week from the Specialised Criminal Court in Pezinok for killing three people and injuring two, all of them Roma, in a shooting spree in Hurbanovo on June 16, 2012. Juhász, an off-duty municipal policeman at the time of the shootings, was last week sentenced to 9 years in prison and 3 years of treatment in a high-security medical facility.

Tanko opined that a sentence of nine years was not adequate for a crime he considers to be racially motivated murder. “A Roma would get a five-times longer sentence in such a case,” Tanko stressed.

The protest is slated to proceed to the Košice Labour Office and to the Office of the Košice Self-Governing Region. Asked by TASR whether the march would be attended by more than the 70-some Roma who participated in a similar protest in Bratislava on March 6, Tanko answered that in the east of Slovakia, Roma citizens were numerous. He said that another protest was planned for Bratislava, but that the date was yet to be confirmed.

Source: SITA

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Massive gatherings remember Kuciak and Kušnírová: We did not forget!

One year after the murder of journalist Ján Kuciak, large protests took place around Slovakia.

Protest gathering in Bratislava, February 21, 2019.

Journalists one year after the murder: We will not forget

More than 420 journalists have signed the statement issued exactly one year after the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.