JOZEF Kollár, who last month failed in a bid for the leadership of Freedom and Solidarity (SaS), may soon leave the opposition party, though he has not done so yet. The reason is that chair of SaS Richard Sulík called on Kollár and his fellows, who supported him in a vote over the top post in SaS, to leave the party after “a thorough evaluation” of their recent activities.
Though at first Kollár said that despite the election results he would remain in the party, his commitment has since wavered since “the unsuccessful candidate for SaS leader refused to become deputy chair and today says openly that he does not see his place in the further movement of the party”, Sulík said, as reported by the SITA newswire on April 11.
Kollár told SITA that extermination “in plural” had been launched – unlike “the extermination in singular” when vice-chair Juraj Miškov was dismissed as the party’s deputy chair at the end of March. He added that he would announce his decision to finally stay or leave the party on April 16.
Sulík’s call came shortly after Kollár met him on April 9 to discuss Kollár’s ten-point plan. However, the two-hour discussion ended without agreement. Kollár said that his views were utterly incompatible with those of Sulík.
“I fully accept the results of the Prešov Congress and if Richard’s vision of the further direction of SaS is carried out, I see no place in the party for me,” Kollár said after the meeting, as quoted by the TASR newswire.
A handful of members of SaS have already left the party following the March vote.
15. Apr 2013 at 0:00 | Compiled by Spectator staff