THROUGHOUT March, historical bicycles were exhibited in the chapel of the courtyard of Trnava’s town hall. The oldest bicycle on display was a Peugeot model from 1910, which came from the collection of Boris Majerov, who owns several bicycles from the first half of the 20th century.
A group of cycling fans thus commemorated the 120th anniversary of organised cycling in and around Trnava. The exhibition “Cyklistika čias dávno minulých / Cycling of Times Long Past” included some rarities, like the historical announcement of the District Notary Office in Trakovice, which would have been announced by the local watchman. It included instructions on how and when bicycles were allowed to be used. People were allowed to ride them to and from work, but for any other uses, bicycles were seen as problematic. “It is forbidden to use bicycles especially for the purpose of entertainment, fun, for trips, for sport and the like,” the SITA newswire quoted the announcement.
In addition to bicycles, the exhibition also featured photos documenting the journey of Ladislav Jalovec, Fridrich Režucha and Štefan Režucha to Italy in 1934. The cycling exhibition was arranged by a group of fans in Tyrnaviavelo, who reconstruct old bicycles in their free time and sometimes even use them in the town’s streets. The first cycling association Nagyszombaty Kerékpár-Egye-sület Tyrnauer Radfahrer-Verein was established in the town in 1893, the TASR newswire wrote. In 1929, the Robotnícky cyklistický klub Jaro / Workers’ Spring Cycling Club was founded, and four years later, the Cyklistický klub Maratón / Cycling Club Marathon.
15. Apr 2013 at 0:00 | Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská