Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Kaliňák says he want to cancel suspicious tender

The Interior Ministry says it will not now purchase PR services and advice on how to communicate with journalists through the firm Regionálna Obstarávacia Agentúra (ROA). ROA had tendered a contract worth €130 million to supply the ministry and other state bodies with PR services.

The Interior Ministry says it will not now purchase PR services and advice on how to communicate with journalists through the firm Regionálna Obstarávacia Agentúra (ROA). ROA had tendered a contract worth €130 million to supply the ministry and other state bodies with PR services.

ROA is part-owned by the tiny municipality of Horné Plachtince (population c. 200) as well as several private individuals. It was granted the right to handle huge volumes of state tenders, ostensibly on the basis that it is part-owned by a public body (the municipality of Horné Plachtince). Following reports about the PR services contract published in the Slovak media last week, the ministry has been scrambling to terminate the agreement with ROA, the Sme daily reported on April 24.

Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák said that he was responding to doubts aroused by the Hospodárske Noviny financial daily that the managers of all four winning companies in the PR contract are connected. He surmised that “there is a threat the competition was not real”.

“I do not like the suspicions that not everybody had the chance to apply for this tender,” Kaliňák told Sme.

Kaliňák recommended that municipalities and state bodies check the prices of their contracts. ROA was also responsible for buying legal and auditing services, Sme reported.

Meanwhile, the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) said it wants to launch a MPs’ investigation into reports of connections between the tenders and officials at the Interior Ministry. This would be initiated by Ján Hudacký, chair of the parliamentary committee for the economy. The resulting report would then be agreed by the committee, and the government, the SITA newswire reported.

Sources: Sme, SITA

For more information about this story please see: Interior Ministry halts tender

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

For a Decent Slovakia gatherings return to streets

Protests will be held in Bratislava, Košice, Prievidza, Poprad, and even Brussels.

What we didn't know about our freedom

In 1989, we thought that once the job was done, we would only go out to the squares for Sunday walks.

November 1989 in Bratislava

Bratislava gets a taste of international poetry Video

The international poetry festival Ars Poetica will host poetry readings and other performances at various sites in the city.

Camilla Nelson

Fico sticks with his old-style politics

Only the former PM knows whether the inspiration for his latest stunt was the success of the For A Decent Slovakia-supported candidates in the municipal elections.