Court orders retrial of Sadiki, prosecutor contests decision

The Prešov District Court has cancelled the 2011 conviction of Baki Sadiki for serious drugs offences. He was sentenced in absentia two years ago to 22 years in prison by both the district and regional courts in Prešov. The decision cancelling his conviction is not yet effective as the prosecutor has filed a complaint, the TASR newswire wrote.

The Prešov District Court has cancelled the 2011 conviction of Baki Sadiki for serious drugs offences. He was sentenced in absentia two years ago to 22 years in prison by both the district and regional courts in Prešov. The decision cancelling his conviction is not yet effective as the prosecutor has filed a complaint, the TASR newswire wrote.

Prosecutor Peter Šufliarsky told the media that his office had contested the decision of the district court and will now wait for the ruling of the Prešov Regional Court. Sadiki was missing until last December, when he was detained in Kosovo and extradited to Slovakia where he started serving his sentence. After being transported to Slovakia, Sadiki claimed that he was unaware of his conviction and requested that it be re-examined. It was this request that the court granted by cancelling the original verdicts.

Sadiki told the court on May 30 that since January 2010 he had been living in Serbia, Macedonia and Kosovo and did not know about the prosecution against him, nor about his sentencing and insisted he learned this only after he was detained in Kosovo. Prosecutors argued that he had to know about the prosecution and trial, citing the testimony of a witness. Sadiki will now be held in pre-trial custody.

Sadiki was convicted in 2011 of importing and distributing heroin from Turkey between 2007 and 2008.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Six people involved in the surveillance of journalists, Kočner paid thousands

People who followed journalists for Kočner are trying to rid themselves of guilt.

Peter Tóth

Trump will meet Pellegrini at the White House

The two politicians will discuss defence and economic cooperation this May.

The White House

After historical sights in Slovakia have burned, is there better fire protection?

Kunerad Castle in the Žilina Region has burned down twice in eight years, and Krásna Hôrka is still undergoing construction seven years after burning.

Krásna Hôrka Castle caught fire in March 2012.

Taxpayers still pay for former PM Fico's bodyguards

The Interior Ministry refuses to say why or reveal how much Fico's security costs.

Smer head Robert Fico.