Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Opposition will not attend new GP election

The opposition parties will not participate in the election of the new general prosecutor that might take place on June 18, the deputy chair of the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) Pavol Abrhan said at the political talk show V Politike broadcast by the TA3 news channel. According to him, the parliament already has one legitimately elected general prosecutor: Jozef Čentéš.

The opposition parties will not participate in the election of the new general prosecutor that might take place on June 18, the deputy chair of the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) Pavol Abrhan said at the political talk show V Politike broadcast by the TA3 news channel. According to him, the parliament already has one legitimately elected general prosecutor: Jozef Čentéš.

Abrhan recalled the fact that the Constitutional Court still has not decided over the complaint filed by Čentéš over the refusal of President Ivan Gašparovič to appoint him to the post, while even Prime Minister Robert Fico had said several times that the election would not take place until the Constitutional Court issues the verdict.

“The only thing which will happen, and it will be the worst for the Office of the General Prosecutor, that you yourself will elect the candidate for general prosecutor,” Abrhan told his partner in the discussion, Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák, as reported by the TASR newswire.

Kaliňák responded that the opposition has been ignoring the Slovak president, who has already decided not to appoint Čentéš, and has already stated his reasons for not doing so. According to Kaliňák, everything was done in compliance with the constitution.

When asked why the ruling Smer party does not wait for the ruling of the Constitutional Court, Kaliňák said that the court has already decided it would not decide. He explained that at the moment it is blocked, as either Čentéš or Gašparovič have objected to 12 of its 13 justices, so it is not able to pass any ruling in the case.

Meanwhile, Fico said during the political talk show Na Telo broadcast by the TV Markíza that there are several people who might run for the post of general prosecutor, including special prosecutor Dušan Kováčik. He remarked that other people from the Office of the General Prosecutor are also being discussed.

The term of the last general prosecutor, Dobroslav Trnka, expired in February 2011, but it took until June of that year for parliament to elect Čentéš as his replacement. However, Gašparovič then refused to appoint him, despite the Constitutional Court ruling in October 2012 that his election had been constitutional. Gašparovič faced extensive criticism from the opposition and political analysts for failing to appoint Čentéš, and then for presenting what they said were insufficient reasons for formally rejecting him.

Source: TASR, Markíza

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

Third anti-corruption march drew thousands Photo

The only demand that has been met to date is the abrogation of Vladimír Mečiar’s amnesties by parliament.

The anti-corruption march

Ballet legend Sergei Polunin will be guest of SND

The world-renowned personality of contemporary ballet will present two choreographies at the Slovak National Theatre in September.

Sergei Polunin

Voters don’t understand self-governing regions

Rules for regional elections change, which may bring some surprising victories.

One of the biggest fights is expected in Banská Bystrica Region.

Sagan rewrites history Video

Cyclist Peter Sagan becomes the first man to win three consecutive world championships. He allegedly did not expect it and was easy with the idea he would not win.