If the Constitutional Court confirms that Jaromír Čižnár, the only candidate in the election for the post of the Slovak general prosecutor, which will take place on June 18, violated the rights of general prosecutor-elect Jozef Čentéš with his participation in the new vote, he will resign from the post. Čižnár said so during the hearing at the parliamentary constitutional committee, adding that he will not step down in other instances, for example, if the court rules that President Ivan Gašparovič violated Čentéš’ right when he refused to appoint him to the post, the TASR newswire reported on June 17.
Čižnár responded to the question posed by committee chair Radoslav Procházka, who called on him to promise he will resign in order not to have two legitimately elected general prosecutors in the event that the Constitutional Court issues a verdict in Čentéš’ favour. Yet, Čižnár said that he does not understand why he should be blamed for the inactivity of the court or the president. He denied allegations that as a general prosecutor he will serve any particular interest, adding that if politicians receive any information about him taking the side of any political party, he will resign.
Čižnár also said he respects the professional qualities of Čentéš, and that they might cooperate, TASR wrote.
Regarding his priorities, Čižnár said that it is necessary to change the image of the office of the prosecutor in a way that it will not be mentioned only when something bad occurs. He also plans to modify the structure of the office in terms of the number of departments, since some of them are not necessary. He would also like to impose control over the activities of the office of the prosecutor.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Robert Fico said that Čižnár is a good candidate for the post of general prosecutor. Moreover, he has the support of the Council of Prosecutors, which is important for Smer, TASR reported.
The term of the last general prosecutor, Dobroslav Trnka, expired in February 2011, but it took until June of that year for parliament to elect Čentéš as his replacement. However, Gašparovič then refused to appoint him, despite the Constitutional Court’s ruling in October 2012 that his election had been constitutional. Gašparovič faced extensive criticism from the opposition and political analysts for failing to appoint Čentéš, and then for presenting what they said were insufficient reasons for formally rejecting him.
For more information about this story please see: Smer moves to elect new chief prosecutor
Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
17. Jun 2013 at 14:00