Minister Glváč: Newest document on VSS embezzlement contradicts rest of the file

Seven pages of the file on alleged embezzlement at the Military Intelligence Service (VSS) between 2004 and 2008 that were leaked last week contradict the rest of the document, Defence Minister Martin Glváč told the Special Parliamentary Committee for Supervising Military Intelligence (VS) on Monday, June 17.

Seven pages of the file on alleged embezzlement at the Military Intelligence Service (VSS) between 2004 and 2008 that were leaked last week contradict the rest of the document, Defence Minister Martin Glváč told the Special Parliamentary Committee for Supervising Military Intelligence (VS) on Monday, June 17.

The part in question concerns former VSS head Róbert Tibenský (now deputy director of VS), who is alleged to have abused his powers in 2004-08 for his own enrichment. He was supposed to arrange the rental of four flats for the needs of the secret services, but the accommodation was allegedly used for private purposes only, with the costs thought to exceed €66,000.

"Despite these discrepancies, former premier [Iveta] Radičová had Mr. Tibenský's security clearance re-processed. He had to sit through another polygraph test at the National Security Bureau (NBÚ), which he passed completely," said Glváč as quoted by the TASR newswire. The minister concluded that the case is closed for him, as it has been handed over to the law-enforcement authorities. MPs on Monday discussed the issue at a special secret session in parliament, lasting for five hours.

The Sme daily slammed Glváč in its Tuesday issue for only staying for half an hour and then missing most of the session. Glváč claimed that immediately after the scandal surfaced recently, he sealed all the relevant files in a safe and would give them only to investigators. He tried to explain some of the accusations about the former military intelligence, but then left the session, arguing that not all of those who summoned the parliamentary session were present and that unless they all come, he would remain in his office. Prime Minister Robert Fico, who also heads the country’s security council, was not present, either, according to Sme.

(Source: TASR, Sme)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Massive gatherings remember Kuciak and Kušnírová: We did not forget!

One year after the murder of journalist Ján Kuciak, large protests took place around Slovakia.

Protest gathering in Bratislava, February 21, 2019.

Journalists one year after the murder: We will not forget

More than 420 journalists have signed the statement issued exactly one year after the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.