The former head of the Military Intelligence Service (formerly VSS, now VS) Roman Mikulec was charged by police, as was his friend, former VSS officer Katarína Svrčeková, as of Monday June 24.
“The police investigator filed charges against two people … for the crime of threatening top-classified information and classified information,” spokesperson of the Special Prosecutor’s Office Andrea
Predajňová told the TASR newswire. “Both people were released from custody,” she said.
The charges came after Mikulec was detained on suspicion of leaking classified documents which are purported to describe alleged tunnelling at the intelligence service during the rule of the first Robert Fico government (2006-10). The case, which the Sme daily first reported in mid-May, surfaced under Mikulec, who was at the helm of the service in the era of Iveta Radičová (2010-12), Sme reported on June 24. The police searched Mikulec’s car on June 22 when he was with Svrčeková. She has since expressed concern that the police might have planted evidence in Mikulec’s car.
The Office of the Special Prosecutor said that they found classified documents, but failed to specify what those were. The prosecutor ordered the arrest after the VSS documents were delivered anonymously to several media outlets over the last several days, Sme wrote. Svrčeková said that she and Mikulec had packed their car with luggage in preparation for a trip, but that the police later removed items from the car during their search that she did not recall having put there. Moreover, during her police interrogation on June 23, she was told that documents containing confidential information were found in her bag.
According to Sme, former head of Czech intelligence Andor Šándor says that someone might have put the documents in Mikulec’s car and that an intelligence agent would be an idiot to drive around with such documents in his car. Both the Defence Ministry and police deny the allegations.
Neither Mikulec nor Svrčeková commented for Sme on the Sunday raid.
Police President Tibor Gašpar told the daily that a prosecution has been started over the suspicion of sabotage and criminal actions of suspicions of embezzlement during the first government of PM Robert Fico. However, no prosecution for a specific crime has been launched so far.
(Source: TASR, Sme)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
25. Jun 2013 at 10:00