Bodies of slain mountaineers transported to Slovakia

The remains of the two Slovak mountain climbers, Anton Dobeš and Peter Šperka, killed by Taliban militants in northern Pakistan on June 22, have been brought back to Slovakia. They were transported by the Slovak governmental special aircraft, since the Pakistani plane that was originally carrying the bodies had to remain in Ukraine due to technical problems, the TASR newswire reported on June 29.

The remains of the two Slovak mountain climbers, Anton Dobeš and Peter Šperka, killed by Taliban militants in northern Pakistan on June 22, have been brought back to Slovakia. They were transported by the Slovak governmental special aircraft, since the Pakistani plane that was originally carrying the bodies had to remain in Ukraine due to technical problems, the TASR newswire reported on June 29.

Prime Minister Robert Fico meanwhile announced that both men will have a state funeral.

“We have considered the circumstances that led to these terrorist attacks, and we have concluded that this was the very first time that Slovak citizens have faced fatal consequences in connection with terrorism,” Fico said, as quoted by TASR. “We vehemently and clearly denounce such acts. The organisation of state funerals for the two victims can convey the seriousness of what happened.”

Šperka’s last farewell is set to take place in Horný Smokovec, Prešov Region on July 2, while a similar ceremony for Dobeš is scheduled to be held in his native village of Uhrovec (Trenčin Region) the following day. Top state officials will attend the two funerals, with Fico set to be present at at least one of them.

“Considering all the circumstances and the context of the case, the Slovak government has decided that organising state funerals will be the most appropriate way of commemorating the victims of the acts of terrorism,” reads the official statement of the Government Office, as reported by TASR. “A state of mourning will not be declared.”

Meanwhile, Slovak Foreign Affairs Minister Miroslav Lajčák said he will seek punishment for the murders of two Slovak mountaineers.

“Terrorism knows no borders and it is immensely unfair,” Lajčák said during the political talk show O 5 Minút 12 broadcast by Slovak Television (STV). “We will be demanding that the case be investigated and that those who committed this are punished. We are working on it, and we will be working on it on the Slovak as well as the EU level.”

He added that Slovakia will not demand any financial compensation from Pakistan for the families of the victims, unlike Ukraine. According to Lajčák, it is not the Pakistani government that is responsible for the attack, as it was not committed by the state law-enforcement bodies, as reported by STV.

Dobeš and Šperka were among the group of 11 people killed in their base camp under Nanga Parbat Mountain in northern Pakistan. The militants also killed one American with dual Chinese citizenship, three Ukrainians, two Chinese nationals, one Lithuanian, one Nepali and a Pakistani guide.

Source: TASR, STV

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

Better times ahead for the Calvary in Bratislava

The last preserved station was restored this summer.

The last preserved station of the Stations of the Cross in Bratislava

Why you need to buy a belt

On this Black Friday, with society teetering on the brink of chaos, I ask that we all do our part.

Roundup: Bratislava’s Old Market Hall hosts Christmas markets

If you have not watched the 'Dracula' miniseries, filmed in Slovakia last year, it is about time.

Bratislava’s Old Market Hall will provide visitors with Christmas vibes in the coming four weeks. Each week, from Wednesday to Saturday, people can do a little bit of Christmas shopping at the venue.

Fico admits to ties with Bödör

Former prime minister stands by his praise for the state secretary who confessed to corruption and court interference.

Robert Fico during his November 26 press conference.