Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Galko lacks People’s Platform votes to remove Defence Minister Glváč

Vice-chairman of the Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party and former defence minister Ľubomír Galko will not get the required number of votes from the opposition People’s Platform parties to remove current Defence Minister Martin Glváč over an investigation of suspicions concerning embezzlement in the military intelligence service.

Vice-chairman of the Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) party and former defence minister Ľubomír Galko will not get the required number of votes from the opposition People’s Platform parties to remove current Defence Minister Martin Glváč over an investigation of suspicions concerning embezzlement in the military intelligence service.

Galko needs five more signatures, the SITA newswire wrote, adding that he needs a total of 30 signatures. “For now, we will not support this initiative,” vice-chairman of the Christian-Democratic Movement, Pavol Abrhan, told SITA. Vice-chairperson of the Slovak Democratic and Christian Union (SDKÚ) caucus Lucia Žitňanská opined that Prime Minister Robert Fico and the Security Council should deal with the scandal, which the parties of the People’s Platform have asked for in written form. She added that the scandal is resulting in the crumbling of one of the pillars of the country’s security, the Military Intelligence (VS).

Galko sent letters to the People’s Platform caucus chairs - Pavol Hrušovský, László Solymos and Lucia Žitňanská – asking them to support his proposal to dismiss Glváč in connection with the investigation of the case.

Although Defence Minister Glváč has been at pains to persuade the public that the suspicions of large-scale embezzlement of state funds via the country’s military intelligence agencies during the first government of Robert Fico (2006-2010) were only a “dangerous media hoax”, new claims of misconduct continue to emerge. The daily Sme broke the first story on embezzlement suspicions, citing an anonymous 134-page file leaked from the military intelligence agencies, on May 16. The report contains information about alleged fraud pertaining to 15 expensive residential properties in Bratislava, as well as cars, which supposedly ended up in the personal ownership of VSS officers and their relatives. Both of the then directors of the two military intelligence agencies – Juraj Šebo of the VSS and Ľubomír Skuhra of the VOS – allegedly knew about the transactions. Since then, the military intelligence services have been restructured, and the two bodies, the VSS and the Military Defence Intelligence (VOS) counter-intelligence agency, were joined into one organisation, the VS, now led by Skuhra, Sme reported.

(Source: SITA, Sme)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

No Slovaks among the victims of Manchester attack so far

The representatives of Slovakia have expressed their sympathy to the families of the victims.

Police guard close to the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain, on May 23, 2017, a day after an explosion.

It's not your Slovakia, Bystrica protesters told Kotleba

President Andrej Kiska spoke to the crowd at the protest gathering, asking Slovaks what kind of country they want to have.

Lajčák gives two versions of the Evka story

The Foreign Ministry gives opposing statements about suspicious procurement related to the Slovak Presidency over the EU Council.

Government of PM Robert Fico (left) endorses Lajčák as its official candidate.

Napoleon’s oak planted in Bratislava's Tyršovo Embankment Photo

An oak of Napoleonic legend was replanted, part of a commemoration spanning several days.

Planting "Naopoleon's oak" on May 20, 2017.