A war criminal accused of killing at least 132 Muslim civilians in the Bosnian war could be transferred to a prison in Slovakia. The management of the Prison and Judicial Guards said that the International Court Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) asked whether it would be possible to place Milan Lukić in a Slovak prison. If yes, he would be the very first person condemned by the ICTY to serve his punishment in Slovakia, the TASR newswire reported on July 13.
Milan and Sredoje Lukić were, according to the charges, accused of committing war crimes against Muslim civilians living in the town of Visegrad near the Serbian border between June 7, 1992 and October 10, 1994. The prosecutor said that both attended the “most brutal operations of ethnic purges”, and until October 1994 they committed hundreds of crimes on Muslims. The town of Visegrad is also known as the second Srebrenica, TASR wrote.
Milan Lukić was detained in August 2005 in Argentina, and in 2006 he was sentenced by the Serbian court to 20 years in prison for the abduction and murder of 17 Bosnians. During the war in Bosnia Lukić was leading two Serbian semi-military groups in Visegrad. His cousin Sredoje had been serving as police officer in Visegrad before the war.
The ICTY confirmed the verdicts for both men on December 4, 2012, while it sentenced Milan Lukić to life in July 2009, TASR wrote.
The Slovak Justice Ministry is now dealing with the translation of the verdicts passed by the ICTY in December 2012. When it is finished, it will send them to the Bratislava Regional Court, which will have to recognise or refuse them. Only after it receives the approval by the court, will Lukić be transported to Slovakia, Pavol Kubík from the press department of the ministry told TASR.
If Lukić is transferred to Slovakia, he will imprisoned in Ilava or Leopoldov, TASR wrote.
Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
15. Jul 2013 at 14:00