The former archbishop of Trnava, Róbert Bezák, who was controversially removed from office last year, has refused an offer from the Conference of Bishops of Slovakia (KBS) to provide him with financial security. KBS secretary Anton Ziolkovský told the SITA newswire on Thursday, July 18 that the secretary-general of the KBS, Marián Chovanec, had met Bezák to tell him of the bishops’ offer.
“Archbishop Bezák did not accept the KBS offer; but it is still valid,” Ziolkovský added. The KBS said it wanted to offer Bezák financial support, in cooperation with the Trnava Archdiocese, as on August 1, the former bishop will lose his position as an ancillary priest in Radvaň, Banská Bystrica, and could theoretically end up on the dole. “The KBS decided that to provide Róbert Bezák with financial security is an important task for the KBS, in cooperation with the Trnava Archdiocese – and it was decided that it will be done,” said KBS chairman Stanislav Zvolenský in early July.
Bezák’s future is unclear: some reports have suggested he could leave for the Redemptorist monastery of Busollengo, close to the Italian city of Verona, where the order administers the Sanctuary of Maria of Eternal Help.
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
18. Jul 2013 at 14:00