BUSINESS IN SHORT

ZSSK to get dozens of new trains

PASSENGER railway carrier Železničná Spoločnosť Slovensko (ZSSK) will receive nearly €170 million to purchase new trains, to be used on regional tracks in western and eastern Slovakia, the SITA newswire reported.

PASSENGER railway carrier Železničná Spoločnosť Slovensko (ZSSK) will receive nearly €170 million to purchase new trains, to be used on regional tracks in western and eastern Slovakia, the SITA newswire reported.

The Nové Vlaky II project is financed through the EU operational programme Transport, with 85 percent of the money being paid from cohesion funds and the remaining 15 percent from the state budget.

Within the project, the state-owned ZSSK should procure 29 new trains during 2015, specifically nine double-system electric trains from the Czech Škoda Vagónka Ostrava company for €86.6 million, and 20 diesel engine trains from the Slovak company ŽOS Vrútky, for €78 million, the SITA newswire reported.

Other projects, involving buses and trams, look likely to be approved soon, including tram tracks to the Petržalka district, which looks set for approval by this autumn.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Slovakia still dealing with the loss of its talent

Economy minister promises extensive support for hydrogen technologies in Slovakia. Far-right supporters protested in front of PM’s house during the weekend.

The far-right ĽSNS organised a protest in front of PM Igor Matovič's house in Trnava.

Hospital manners expose the toxicity of Kollár

Unjustified privileges overshadow some good news of the coalition's work. Halloween testing will not be repeated during advent time.

PM Igor Matovič (l) and Speaker of Parliament Boris Kollár

Sulík’s party benefits from the dispute with PM Matovič

The Hlas party of former PM Pellegrini is rising, too.

Economy Minister Richard Sulík (l) was charged by PM Igor Matovič (r) to purchase millions of antigen tests.

Anyone can publish a book. Authors often avoid publishers

Self-publishing is setting a new trend.

Nikoleta Kováčová has published two cookbooks without the aid of a publishing house.