Roma proxy accepts inspection results, proposes recording all police raids

Government Proxy for Roma Communities Peter Pollák (Ordinary People and Independent Personalities-OĽaNO) said he officially accepted the findings of the Interior Ministry inspection concerning the police raid in the Roma settlement in Moldava and Bodvou on June 19. He added that his position, powers and tasks do not allow him to impartially assess the lawfulness and adequacy of the police operation – and to “tell the verdict” whether the police acted in a standard way.

Government Proxy for Roma Communities Peter Pollák (Ordinary People and Independent Personalities-OĽaNO) said he officially accepted the findings of the Interior Ministry inspection concerning the police raid in the Roma settlement in Moldava and Bodvou on June 19. He added that his position, powers and tasks do not allow him to impartially assess the lawfulness and adequacy of the police operation – and to “tell the verdict” whether the police acted in a standard way.

After Pollák met the Roma involved, Moldava nad Bodvou’s mayor and local representatives, as well as the police officers, he “heard two different views on the disputed police operation”, the TASR newswire quoted him as saying. To avoid future problems, Pollák recommended recording all future police actions and to give orders in the mother tongue of those involved.

Pollák was reacting to the official statement by Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák who concluded that the police didn't violate any regulations when they went looking for wanted individuals and stolen goods at the Roma settlement. He denied any children were injured, as had been alleged. The Sme daily in its Wednesday, July 31 issue quoted local Roma and the ETP Slovensko, a non profit organisation which has provided social services to the inhabitants as saying that the action was inappropriate and that during the SWAT team raid a number of people were injured.

(Source: TASR, Sme)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Massive gatherings remember Kuciak and Kušnírová: We did not forget!

One year after the murder of journalist Ján Kuciak, large protests took place around Slovakia.

Protest gathering in Bratislava, February 21, 2019.

Journalists one year after the murder: We will not forget

More than 420 journalists have signed the statement issued exactly one year after the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.