Construction work on Šibenik tunnel back on

The construction of the Šibenik tunnel was restored only few hours after the explosion at the site killed one worker and injured five others on August 12. National Highway Company (NDS) spokesman Marcel Jánošík said that the District Mining Authority in Spišská Nová Ves allowed the work to restart shortly after 15:00, the TASR newswire reported.

The construction of the Šibenik tunnel was restored only few hours after the explosion at the site killed one worker and injured five others on August 12. National Highway Company (NDS) spokesman Marcel Jánošík said that the District Mining Authority in Spišská Nová Ves allowed the work to restart shortly after 15:00, the TASR newswire reported.

Jánošík said that the workers had to remove all remains of the explosives from the tunnel tube, as well as the material from blasting, and then continued the planned work, as reported by TASR.

NDS officials said that the explosion did not affect the work at other construction sites which continued according to plan and without interruption.

While government officials have not said anything about compensations of the victims and their families, Miloš Farkaš from Eurovia SK confirmed to the public broadcaster Slovak Radio (SRo) that compensation is forthcoming.

Meanwhile, AGEL group spokeswoman Hana Szotkowská said that the health of one of the workers hospitalised in Levoča has stabilised and is gradually improving. She added that the patient will have to undergo another surgery, but in another hospital which she did not specify, as reported by TASR.

The man with a head and brain injury, hospitalised in Košice, spent a night in artificial sleep. His condition is still serious, SRo reported.

The three additional injured men are recovering without serious complications, the Sme daily wrote.

The explosion occurred in morning hours of August 12. The police’s preliminary conclusion is that that there were two planned blasts, during which not all explosives blew up. When the explosives manager, 39-year-old Rastislav Mihálik, and his colleagues went to check the site, the uncontrolled explosion occurred, causing a landslide, Sme wrote.

Source: TASR, SRo, Sme

For more information about this story please see: Kaliňák: Construction worker died in tunnel due to uncontrolled blast

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

Ondrej Ďurica (first left) and Milan Mazurek (second left) are among those leaving ĽSNS.

News digest: The far right is falling apart

One person died after being vaccinated in Slovakia. Almost 2.6 million people tested so far.

5 h
Igor Matovič celebration his election victory on March 1, 2020.

It was a long time ago and it never happened anyway

How much of the present will be intelligible through the kaleidoscopic lens of digital media in just a few years – or even months?

6 h

Worse-off districts in Slovakia should undergo another round of testing

It is necessary to carry a negative COVID-19 test result from January 27 to at least February 2.

12 h
White Crow laureates (l-r): Andrej Belák, Jolana and Štefan Náther, Jaroslav Macek

The stories of White Crow laureates show how important it is to speak up against injustice

The awards went to four initiatives in justice, education, health care and minorities.

25. jan