Brits social workers to rule on Slovak child again, Sme reports

A British court has launched proceedings to decide the future of a 12-year-old son of a Slovak woman who has been living in the UK. The social workers took the boy away from his mother in the beginning of May, pointing to the negative impact of the mother’s mental problems on his health condition, the Sme daily reported in its August 13 issue.

A British court has launched proceedings to decide the future of a 12-year-old son of a Slovak woman who has been living in the UK. The social workers took the boy away from his mother in the beginning of May, pointing to the negative impact of the mother’s mental problems on his health condition, the Sme daily reported in its August 13 issue.

The woman, identified as Sylvia, was living with her son Elliot in Lewes. The doctors diagnosed her with schizophrenia which, according to the social workers, did not allow her to take proper care of her son.

The situation allegedly worsened last year when Elliot had serious health problems and could not go to school. He was hospitalised in the beginning of this March. The explanations of the causes of the disease differ. While the doctors mentioned the rare form of schizophrenia, so-called Folie a Deux, which means that the ill person transmits his health and psychological problems to other person he lives with, the mother says the problems were caused by the pesticide poisoning, as reported by Sme.

The mother’s lawyer Stefano Lucatello from Kobalt Law LLP said that the British authorities have never checked the alleged poisoning, Sme wrote.

Another turn came last week when Sylvia and her mother departed for Slovakia, just a few days before the court proceedings were to begin. She said she wants to find a doctor who will make a new assessment of her mental condition, according to Sme.

Private broadcaster TV JOJ was one of the first media outlets to report on the story, but the messages also appeared on social networks. The case is also watched by the Centre for the International Protection of Children and Youth, overseen by the Slovak Labour Ministry, as reported by Sme.

Source: Sme

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

Curfew and closed schools. Slovakia goes into a mild lockdown this weekend

Nationwide testing will follow, accompanied by another curfew.

Nationwide testing - an ambitious plan with an uncertain result

Antigen tests to be used work on patients with symptoms.

Police arrest top special prosecutor, suspected of helping a mafia group

Dušan Kováčik is known for not filing any criminal lawsuits.

State prepared an €100-million injection for tourism

The sector hit hard by the coronavirus crisis should see money at the end of this year.

Illustrative stock photo