No chairman for NKÚ, Šulaj and Tóth to become vice chairs

The election of the new head of the Supreme Audit Office (NKÚ) has been again postponed by parliament, this time indefinitely. Prior to the September 2 deadline, parliament did not propose a candidate, the Sme daily wrote.

The election of the new head of the Supreme Audit Office (NKÚ) has been again postponed by parliament, this time indefinitely. Prior to the September 2 deadline, parliament did not propose a candidate, the Sme daily wrote.

Still without a duly elected chairman, the NKÚ, is led by its former chairman Ján Jasovský (nominated by now extra-parliamentary Movement for a Democratic Slovakia, HZDS) whose tenure officially expired last February.

The ruling Smer party proposed Igor Šulaj and Vladimir Tóth for vice-chairs of the audit office. Šulaj was a Smer MP and head of the Tax Directorate under the first Fico government, and Tóth is the head of the NKÚ’s Košice branch, Sme wrote.

The two candidates were nominated by Smer caucus members Jana Laššáková, Renáta Zmajkovičová, Tibor Glenda, Miroslav Číž, Stanislav Kubánek and Vladimír Faič, the Parliamentary Office informed the TASR newswire. The vote shall take place on the 23rd parliamentary session on September 12, the office reported.

“We filed two proposals for candidates to the positions of vice-chairs,” head of the Smer caucus, Jana Laššáková, told TASR. “We insist on the stance that the post of chairman belongs to the opposition and it is their fault that they are not able to propose a candidate,” she concluded.

Opposition parties said they were united in their stance against proposing anyone for the post, although their reasons differ. “If the People’s Platform decided to stick to the agreements, Freedom and Solidarity (SaS) would propose a candidate foe the position of NKÚ head – Milan Laurenčík,” SaS chairman Richard Sulík told TASR. “But the People’s Platform is incorrect in this – the agreement was that SaS would come up with the candidate for NKÚ chair post, and they did not keep it,” he added.

Jozef Viskupič of Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO) told TASR that his party wanted a candidate to be selected through a competition and that the agreement giving SaS the right to propose a candidate had been violated. Viskupič also opined that Smer pretends to give a free hand to the opposition in picking the candidate, but ultimately he or she has to suit the ruling party.

Zsolt Simon of opposition Most-Híd agreed with the latter argument, saying the Prime Minister and Smer chairman Robert Fico has ignored all proposed candidates so far. “Smer does not want to have a person in this position who would really check the administering of public resources,” Simon added, as quoted by TASR.

(Source: TASR)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Six people involved in the surveillance of journalists, Kočner paid thousands

People who followed journalists for Kočner are trying to rid themselves of guilt.

Peter Tóth

Trump will meet Pellegrini at the White House

The two politicians will discuss defence and economic cooperation this May.

The White House

After historical sights in Slovakia have burned, is there better fire protection?

Kunerad Castle in the Žilina Region has burned down twice in eight years, and Krásna Hôrka is still undergoing construction seven years after burning.

Krásna Hôrka Castle caught fire in March 2012.

Taxpayers still pay for former PM Fico's bodyguards

The Interior Ministry refuses to say why or reveal how much Fico's security costs.

Smer head Robert Fico.