Transpetrol withdraws from dubious yacht club sponsorship

STATE-OWNED company Transpetrol will not give €100,000 to sponsor the yacht club led by former managers from the Penta financial group, after Prime Minister Robert Fico requested the managers of the firm to use “all options at their disposal in order to withdraw a contract on yachting sponsorship”. This came as a response to the article published by the Sme daily on December 16.

STATE-OWNED company Transpetrol will not give €100,000 to sponsor the yacht club led by former managers from the Penta financial group, after Prime Minister Robert Fico requested the managers of the firm to use “all options at their disposal in order to withdraw a contract on yachting sponsorship”. This came as a response to the article published by the Sme daily on December 16.

Sme reported that the Brutal Fish Yacht Club (BFYC), led by former member of Penta financial group board of directors and entrepreneur Richard Schultz, received €50,000 from the state-owned firm for its activities. Another €50,000 went to sponsor three-day championships held in Croatia in November, although its logos are not discernible on the boat in photographs as stipulated in the contract, according to the daily.

Both Transpetrol and BFYC confirmed the termination of agreement. The company explained that through the sponsoring of yachting it wanted to promote its activities in areas with watercourses and where water sports are done.

“Transpetrol is active in its support for a number of sports, with minority sports no exception,” Transpetrol spokeswoman Lucia Patznerová told Sme. “This is partly due to the fact that state support for these sports is not always ideal, so the state-owned public company is attempting at least partially to alleviate the problem.”

Regarding the logos, Patznerová said that the organisers of competition solved the promotion with banners which were “applied on boats of certain crews before the start and shortly after the beginning of the race”, as reported by Sme. She added that they have a photograph proving this, but that they will not sent it to the daily as they had already terminated the sponsorship agreement.

Source: Sme

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Who will go to Court? Why the upcoming vote matters

The wrong people sitting in the Constitutional Court may dismantle rule of law step by step.

Brits living in Slovakia to have the same rights as EU citizens after Brexit

Slovakia's PM expects the UK to adopt the same approach.

American producer Timbaland posts a video of the little Slovak bassist

Justin Timberlake also dropped a line saying Áron is dripping sauce.

Áron Hodek

From whom will Slovakia purchase 3D radars?

10 countries have submitted their offers.

L-R: Defence Minister Peter Gajdoš and Chief of Staff of Slovak Armed Forces Lieutnant-General Milan Maxim during an unplanned visit to the Training Battalion in Martin, August 8, 2016.