Army’s troubled communication system fully operational in 2014

THE ARMY communication and information system MOKYS will be fully operational in 2014, Defence Minister Martin Glváč said December 17.

THE ARMY communication and information system MOKYS will be fully operational in 2014, Defence Minister Martin Glváč said December 17.

"Last week we signed an agreement with BAE Systems that MOKYS will not be implemented according to the original contract from 2005," said Glváč, as quoted by the TASR newswire. He further pointed out that in terms of the original contract the ministry has managed to save ten times the cost.

German Ambassador Michael Schmunk, British Charge d'Affaires Gill Fraser, U.S. Ambassador Theodore Sedgwick and a representative of BAE Systems were also present at the press conference promoting the new agreement under which MOKYS should be completed in 2014.

According to Chief-of-General-Staff of the Slovak Armed Forces Peter Vojtek, MOKYS should be certified for a battalion, which is around 1,000 troops, in 2016. Sedgwick stressed that the project is very advanced and that its communications capabilities make it interoperable with NATO, TASR wrote.

The procurement of the system was from the outset accompanied by suspicions. The police carried out investigations into the tender, and former Prime Minister Iveta Radičová filed a criminal complaint on suspicion of the serious crime of violations of obligations in the management of foreign assets.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Owls indicate spring is coming

Male owls lured by bird calls fly in to take a look at the intruder.

Long-eared owl

“By a sharp knife” cuts through the heart of injustice in Slovakia

A film inspired by the 2005 murder of student Daniel Tupý will be premiered to the Slovak public on February 21.

Director Teodor Kuhn behind the scenes of Ostrým Nožom.

The moment that changed my perception of the media

One flew over the newsprint: Images from the history of the Sme daily

Alexej Fulmek (right) and Karol Ježík in the early days of Sme.