Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Lajčák: Accepting Gitmo detainees shows friendly Slovak-US ties

SLOVAKIA’s acceptance of three members of the Uyghur ethnic group who were previously incarcerated at the Guantanamo Bay US military base is an acknowledgement of our friendship with the US, Slovak Foreign Affairs Minister Miroslav Lajčák said on TV channel TA3’s political discussion show on January 19.

SLOVAKIA’s acceptance of three members of the Uyghur ethnic group who were previously incarcerated at the Guantanamo Bay US military base is an acknowledgement of our friendship with the US, Slovak Foreign Affairs Minister Miroslav Lajčák said on TV channel TA3’s political discussion show on January 19.

In addition, the move is also an acknowledgement of the fact that if Slovakia is to criticise the detention facility, it should be involved in closing it down, Lajčák said, adding that accepting detainees is a humanitarian action coupled with Slovakia’s efforts to contribute to Guantanamo’s closure. There are still more than 100 detainees at the U.S. Military base in Cuba.

“After requesting US assistance many times and receiving it in every instance, it would be egoistical and selfish of us to respond to their request now with ‘it’s none of our business’,” said Lajčák, as quoted by the TASR newswire.

He also said that Slovakia’s acceptance of the three Guantanamo detainees is unrelated to his and Prime Minister Robert Fico’s meeting with US President Barack Obama in November 2013. According to the minister, Slovakia has accepted Guantanamo detainees before, but it has always been carried out under controlled conditions.

He added that none of the three members of the Uyghur ethnic group - who are all Chinese citizens - are on the list of terrorists.

“Citizens of Slovakia face no danger and can sleep well,” said Lajčák.

This is the second time that Slovakia has accepted former prisoners of the Guantanamo base. Another three men - of Egyptian, Tunisian and Azerbaijani origin - were brought to the country in 2010. All of them had spent eight years imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay as the US authorities suspected them of cooperating with terrorist organisations. According to available information, at least two of them have already left Slovakia, where they had been under a form of protective watch.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

He survived the Paris attacks: Slovakia healed me, he says

I stepped back into life and learned to live again here. I don’t think I could have done it in Paris, says Thomas Tran Dinh.

I found people in Slovakia who try to understand and balance things, says Thomas Tran Dinh.

What does this man know?

Prosecutor searches for witness in the case of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová’s murder.

Identikit picture of possible witness in Kuciak murder case.

I am not afraid, I do not work like Kuciak

Sometimes trolls burst into our office and shout at us until we convince them to leave, but they never sue us, says David Crawford from the newsgroup Correctiv who were the first to discover who downed MH17 flight.

David Crewford

Foreigners: Top 10 events in Bratislava Video

Tips for the top 10 events in the capital between September 21 and September 30, plus regular services in different languages, training, temporary exhibitions and highlights of the year.

Kapitulská