Human Rights Council supports Ombudswoman Dubovcová

The Government Council for Human Rights, Ethnic Minorities and Gender Equality has weighed in on the police crackdown at a Roma settlement in Moldava na Bodvou in June, unanimously adopting a resolution expressing support for Ombudswoman Jana Dubovcová. The raid in Moldava nad Bodvou, which has been widely discussed since it occurred in June 2013, involved 63 SWAT police entering the settlement to detain several men, for whom they had arrest warrants. None of those men were found, but violence ensued and dozens of others were injured, none of whom were charged with a crime. The inhabitants of the settlement, as well as NGOs and the ombudswoman, have insisted that the raid was a violation of human rights. A special police investigation into the raid concluded that it was carried out in line with the law. Prosecutors have ordered another investigation.

The Government Council for Human Rights, Ethnic Minorities and Gender Equality has weighed in on the police crackdown at a Roma settlement in Moldava na Bodvou in June, unanimously adopting a resolution expressing support for Ombudswoman Jana Dubovcová.

The raid in Moldava nad Bodvou, which has been widely discussed since it occurred in June 2013, involved 63 SWAT police entering the settlement to detain several men, for whom they had arrest warrants. None of those men were found, but violence ensued and dozens of others were injured, none of whom were charged with a crime. The inhabitants of the settlement, as well as NGOs and the ombudswoman, have insisted that the raid was a violation of human rights. A special police investigation into the raid concluded that it was carried out in line with the law. Prosecutors have ordered another investigation.

On February 5 the council didn’t take a position on the police intervention. The council will debate the incident only after the investigation of the Interior Ministry (which oversees the police) has been completed.

“I certainly don’t want to make judgements about it, because I’m not competent to do so,” said Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajčák who is also the president of this council. The adopted resolution acknowledges the ongoing investigation, he said, adding that the council doesn’t want to get a step ahead of the investigation. “That’s why we agreed that we will return to this topic when a decision of the competent institutions and bodies has been made,” Lajčák said, according to the TASR newswire.

Dubovcová acknowledged that “this was the first time there was a substantive discussion about her findings”.

“In contrast to the outcome of the council’s discussions, however, I don’t think that it’s necessary to wait for the end of investigation for the adoption of measures that I have proposed,” she responded.

In the document submitted last month to government, Dubovcová proposed for police to record such future raids on video. She also wanted all areas used by the police for holding and questioning apprehended individuals to be CCTV monitored.

(Source: TASR)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Owls indicate spring is coming

Male owls lured by bird calls fly in to take a look at the intruder.

Long-eared owl

“By a sharp knife” cuts through the heart of injustice in Slovakia

A film inspired by the 2005 murder of student Daniel Tupý will be premiered to the Slovak public on February 21.

Director Teodor Kuhn behind the scenes of Ostrým Nožom.

The moment that changed my perception of the media

One flew over the newsprint: Images from the history of the Sme daily

Alexej Fulmek (right) and Karol Ježík in the early days of Sme.