Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Two Slovenians sentenced for ‘Turkish truck’

TWO Slovenian citizens, Alen Z. and Sebastjan M. were sentenced to 23 and 20 years in prison, respectively, by the Trnava district court for financing and organising the transport of acetic anhydride from Slovakia to Turkey. The chemical is a precursor that, according to the prosecutor, could have been used for heroin production in Afghanistan, the SITA newswire reported.

TWO Slovenian citizens, Alen Z. and Sebastjan M. were sentenced to 23 and 20 years in prison, respectively, by the Trnava district court for financing and organising the transport of acetic anhydride from Slovakia to Turkey. The chemical is a precursor that, according to the prosecutor, could have been used for heroin production in Afghanistan, the SITA newswire reported.

It is the first verdict in the infamous case known as “the Turkish truck”, which dates back to 2010. The police learned about these activities thanks to a key witness whose testimony was the basis for the police operation in December 2010.

A Czech truck set off from a warehouse in Dunajská Streda, loaded with what the driver believed to be 17 tonnes of disinfectant. In fact, the truck was carrying acetic anhydride, which according to the Interior Ministry, had been stolen by an international drug gang from a factory in Europe and could have been used to produce some 400 kilograms of heroin, which the gang was planning to sell back to European countries, including Slovakia.

Zdeněk Pekara, the driver who unwittingly drove the substance across Europe to Turkey, was arrested upon his arrival at an Istanbul warehouse on December 24 and only released after several days, once the circumstances had been explained.
The police at that time faced a wave of criticism in the Slovak and Czech media. The authorities blamed the Turkish side for marring the operation. The Slovak police later paid the driver €25,000 in damages.

Prosecutor Jozef Kandera from the General Prosecutor’s Office said that the police acted legitimately in this case, because that was the only way to unveil the criminal activities and charge the culprits, SITA wrote.
The key witness is now under police protection and the criminal prosecution against him has been stopped, according to SITA.

The two men have appealed the district court’s verdict. The Trnava district court is dealing with three other cases in connection with this case, with altogether eight people charged.

Source: SITA

Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information
presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

EU roaming fees to end on June 15 – in theory

Slovak customers still waiting to find out how mobile operators will implement change.

Archaeologist pieces together early history of what is now western Slovakia Photo

For an archaeologist, the most important thing is his most recent rare discovery, says Július Vavák.

Students visited Svätý Jur as part of their European Wanderer project

How to sell Slovak books to English readers

Slovak literature makes it to the big bookstores of London, but it is unlikely to become a bestseller yet.

On Wednesday, Slovak literature will be presented in one of the biggest bookstores in London. Among the new books translated into English is also the anthology of current Slovak prose selected and translated by Magdalena Mullek and Júlia Sherwood.

General Prosecutor filed a motion for the dissolution of ĽSNS

The Slovak Supreme Court received a motion to dissolve the extreme right ĽSNS party founded and led by Marian Kotleba.

Jaromír Čižnár