SPEAKER of Parliament Pavol Paška will not announce the sixth attempt to elect the new chairman of the Supreme Control Authority (NKÚ) during the upcoming March session of parliament as originally planned.
Paška argued that the opposition did not propose a relevant candidate, the TASR newswire reported.
“It must be a person with predispositions, a person who is trustworthy both from a political and professional viewpoint,” Paška said on the TA3 news channel on March 2, as quoted by TASR.
The next election, which is to be held by a secret ballot, will thus take place only after the March session of parliament, most likely after the presidential election.
Based on the unwritten agreement, the NKÚ top post belongs to the opposition.
KDH vice-chair Pavol Abrhan noted in the debate with Paška that the People’s Platform still proposes Maroš Žilinka as their candidate.
“He is a good candidate and he fulfils all the conditions for a decent, honest and responsible performance in the post,” Abrhan said, as quoted by TASR.
The opposition has proposed several candidates so far but with little success. Meanwhile, the NKÚ top post has been held by Jan Jasovsky, who was nominated by the Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (HZDS) and whose term ended more than two years ago. The centre-right parties demand a public ballot to fill the post, but Smer refuses this, TASR wrote.
Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports.
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information
presented in its Flash News postings.
3. Mar 2014 at 14:00