Prosecutor files perjury charges against Hedviga Malinová

THE PROSECUTOR has closed the investigation of Hedviga Malinová, an ethnic Hungarian who said in August 2006 that she was attacked by two men after being overheard to speak Hungarian, and filed a lawsuit against her, the Pravda.sk website reported on April 4.

THE PROSECUTOR has closed the investigation of Hedviga Malinová, an ethnic Hungarian who said in August 2006 that she was attacked by two men after being overheard to speak Hungarian, and filed a lawsuit against her, the Pravda.sk website reported on April 4.

The General Prosecutor’s Office confirmed that Malinová has been charged with perjury. The case was submitted to the Nitra District Court on April 2, Pravda.sk wrote.

In August 2006, Malinová (who has since married and now goes by the surname Žáková) reported that she had been assaulted on her way to a university exam in Nitra. The police’s findings were released in September 2006, at a press conference by then interior minister Robert Kaliňák and then prime minister Robert Fico (both of whom currently hold the same positions), with Kaliňák stating “it is beyond doubt that the case did not happen”. He presented several pieces of evidence that he said backed his claim, including DNA samples. Kaliňák later went on to denounce Malinová as a “pathological liar”. Malinová was charged in May 2007 with perjury and making false claims.

The investigation of the case was closed in January 2014.

Malinová has meanwhile moved to Hungarian town of Győr, after she requested and received Hungarian citizenship at the end of 2013.

Under Slovak law, by receiving the Hungarian passport she forfeits her Slovak citizenship.
“I am not escaping from the police investigation and the possible court proceeding; I want to protect my children from police harassment,” Malinová told the Hungarian daily Új Szó.

Source: Pravda.sk

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Massive gatherings remember Kuciak and Kušnírová: We did not forget!

One year after the murder of journalist Ján Kuciak, large protests took place around Slovakia.

Protest gathering in Bratislava, February 21, 2019.

Journalists one year after the murder: We will not forget

More than 480 journalists have signed the statement issued exactly one year after the murder of Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.