Interior Ministry silent on Ukrainian asylum applicants

THE INTERIOR Ministry has not provided any details about the Ukrainians who were reported to have requested asylum in Slovakia but were “talked out of it”, the Sme daily reported on April 18.

THE INTERIOR Ministry has not provided any details about the Ukrainians who were reported to have requested asylum in Slovakia but were “talked out of it”, the Sme daily reported on April 18.

“We had the first four asylum requests of Ukrainians, but we discussed it with them and they decided to return,” Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák said on April 17, as reported by Sme. Since then, the ministry failed to provide any details of the identities of the applicants.

The Ukrainians reportedly asked about asylum during their tourist trip in Poprad, according to Sme.

“After we explained that they would have to go through the asylum process and their movement within the EU would be limited, they changed their minds,” the ministry told Sme.

Representatives of Ukrainians and Ruthenians living in Slovakia expressed doubts about the ministry’s approach.

“If they didn’t fulfil the requirements for granting asylum or just consulted on the possibilities of asylum, it would be transparent to clearly name the reasons why they changed their minds,” said Anton Horshkov, a Ukrainian living in Slovakia, in an interview with Sme.

Helena Dohovičová of the Association of Ruthenian-Ukrainians in Slovakia said there is no room to joke about granting asylum to Ukrainian citizens, Sme reported.

Ombudswoman Jana Dubovcova took issue with Minister Kalinak’s statements as well.

“When there are people coming from a country where there is a threat of an armed conflict, then every state including Slovakia should be welcoming,” she said, as quoted by Sme.

The ministry reacted by saying that the ombudswoman is only interested in politicking and leading a conflict with the Interior Ministry.

Source: Sme

Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports.
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information
presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Massive gatherings remember Kuciak and Kušnírová: We did not forget!

One year after the murder of journalist Ján Kuciak, large protests took place around Slovakia.

Protest gathering in Bratislava, February 21, 2019.

Owls indicate spring is coming

Male owls lured by bird calls fly in to take a look at the intruder.

Long-eared owl

Murder of journalist: We need to see indictments of masterminds soon

International journalists’ organisations are “cautiously optimistic” after meeting investigators of the Kuciak murder.

Ján Kuciak

Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová were murdered one year ago (timeline)

These are the notable moments of the first year since the murder.

Paying tribute to Ján Kuciak and Martina Kušnírová.