Construction companies accused of cartel turn to Constitutional Court

Skanska, Doprastav and Strabag, three of the six construction companies that were found to have been involved in a cartel agreement for a tender for building a stretch of the D1-motorway between Mengusovce and Jánovce in eastern Slovakia in 2005 have appealed to the Constitutional Court. The Anti-trust Office (PMÚ) identified the cartel in 2006 – with its findings remaining a source of contention until the decision was confirmed by the Supreme Court in December 2013, the TASR newswire learned from the Court’s spokeswoman Anna Pančurová on April 23. “The complaints are in abeyance due to the short time since they were filed,” said Pančurová.

Skanska, Doprastav and Strabag, three of the six construction companies that were found to have been involved in a cartel agreement for a tender for building a stretch of the D1-motorway between Mengusovce and Jánovce in eastern Slovakia in 2005 have appealed to the Constitutional Court.

The Anti-trust Office (PMÚ) identified the cartel in 2006 – with its findings remaining a source of contention until the decision was confirmed by the Supreme Court in December 2013, the TASR newswire learned from the Court’s spokeswoman Anna Pančurová on April 23.

“The complaints are in abeyance due to the short time since they were filed,” said Pančurová.

Strabag turned to the Constitutional Court on March 24, Skanska followed suit on March 31; Doprastav did so on April 14. Among the appeals, according to Pančurová, is a request for a delay in the enforcement of a rule according to which the companies have to pay a €45 million fine. The Sme daily wrote on April 23 that only Skanska has paid the fine so far. The payment deadline expired April 19.

The National Highway Company (NDS) has excluded the three construction companies from existing tenders due to their involvement in the cartel.

(Source: TASR, Sme)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Jobs, phone calls and banks. What to prepare for after Brexit

Mobile operators and airports do not expect changes.

Fico: I did not speak with Vadala on the phone

A legal team has been created to monitor the behaviour of journalists, Fico also said during his press conference.

Smer head Robert Fico.

Blog: Open those windows, please

It can bring about some real changes.

Supreme Court judge Štefan Harabin.