IN 2004-2013, Slovakia was assigned €12.86 billion from cohesion policy funds.
Finances from EU resources make up almost 80 percent of public investments in Slovakia. In the past 10 years, EU funds contributed, among other things, to:
- 100 km of highways and dual carriageways completed (with another 112 km currently under construction)
- 1,830 km roads modernised
- 100 km railways modernised
- 1,020 schools modernised
- 56 hospitals and 208 social care facilities modernised
- 834 public spaces regenerated
- 130,000 new jobs created
Košice, the European Capital of Culture 2013, received altogether €55 million for 20 projects.
Mobility in education:
- 17,500-plus students travelled abroad for exchange
- 3,000 students worked as interns abroad
- 6,237 university teachers travelled abroad for exchange
Source: Representation of the EC in Slovakia
5. May 2014 at 0:00 | Compiled by Spectator staff