Smer continues dropping in polls, Sieť remains strong

THE NEWCOMER on Slovakia’s political scene, the Sieť party of unsuccessful presidential candidate Radoslav Procházka, continues to be the strongest opposition party in opinion polls.

THE NEWCOMER on Slovakia’s political scene, the Sieť party of unsuccessful presidential candidate Radoslav Procházka, continues to be the strongest opposition party in opinion polls.

The latest Focus polling agency survey, the results of which were published on June 23, shows Sieť at 15.8 percent (up by 2.5 percentage points compared to last month), the second strongest party after the ruling Smer, which received 32.2 percent of the vote in the poll, a drop by 2.4 points.

The Christian Democratic Movement (KDH) would garner 9.3 percent of the vote according to the poll, followed by Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO) with 7.6 percent.

Freedom and Solidarity (SaS), the Slovak Democratic and Christian Union (SDKÚ), the non-parliamentarian Hungarian Community party (SMK) and Most-Híd would also make it into parliament, barely passing the 5-percent threshold. Their scores in the poll were as follows: SaS with 5.5 percent, SDKÚ and SMK with 5.1 percent each, and Most-Híd with 5 percent.

The NOVA movement (3.4 percent) and the nationalist Slovak National Party (2.4 percent) would remain out of parliament.

In addition, almost one-fifth of the respondents (19.8 percent) said that they would not have gone to the polls, while another 16.5 percent said that they either did not know whom to support or did not want to respond.

The poll was carried out between June 3 and 10 on a sample of 1,025 respondents.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Michaela Terenzani from press reports.
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information
presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak