Bank employees steal €400,000 from unsuspecting victim

Police in Žilina uncovered a fraud involving an organised group of three men and one woman and a €393,000 transfer from the bank account of an unsuspecting victim to a bank account abroad.

Police in Žilina uncovered a fraud involving an organised group of three men and one woman and a €393,000 transfer from the bank account of an unsuspecting victim to a bank account abroad.

Three members of the gang were former employees of a bank branch in Žilina, with two of them even having previously acted as bank branch heads. Some of them had continued to work in the sector until today, the TASR newswire learned from Jana Balogová, the spokeswoman for the Regional Police Corps Directorate in Žilina.

“They got hold of a fake ID of the account owner and a specimen signature, used clothing and make-up to match the looks and tell-tale signs of the fake client and set up an account in another bank abroad in the same client’s name,” Balogová said. “They deceived the other bank’s staff by misusing personal data as well as the client's identity.” The fake client also withdrew €5,000 in cash on behalf of the group.

“Once the crime was uncovered, one of the offenders wanted to have the person pretending to be the client go into hiding in the Czech Republic before blackmailing the person and threatening to have the person killed by individuals of Ukrainian origin for €3,000,” she added.

Three members of the gang have been charged with a range of crimes, most notably forgery, embezzlement and attempted fraud. One of the threesome has been taken into custody, with the other two being prosecuted at large. They face up to 15 years in jail. The police are looking into suspicions that the gang may have committed more crimes of this kind in Trenčín and Trnava regions.

(Source: TASR)
Compiled by Zuzana Vilikovská from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Lockdown not out of the question, PM Matovič says

The overview of news from Wednesday, October 21, 2020.

PM Igor Matovič says lockdown is still in play.

A curfew for those who refuse testing? Lawyers and president have doubts

The government risks the Constitutional Court canceling the nationwide testing.

Illustrative stock photo

The cabinet approves plan for permanent kurzarbeit

The new fund is expected to be introduced from 2022.

Labour Minister Milan Krajniak