Group charged in corruption affair freed

THE SPECIALISED Criminal Court in Pezinok has released all five men accused in the corruption case that involved prosecutor Michal B. on July 30, claiming it has not been proved the crime had really happened. The verdict is not valid yet since the prosecutor has appealed, the SITA newswire reported.

THE SPECIALISED Criminal Court in Pezinok has released all five men accused in the corruption case that involved prosecutor Michal B. on July 30, claiming it has not been proved the crime had really happened. The verdict is not valid yet since the prosecutor has appealed, the SITA newswire reported.

Back in January 2010, Ľuboš K., who was in the custody at the time on suspicion of fraud, allegedly wanted to get out. The prosecutor said he asked Jozef K. to give at least €30,000 to the judge for this purpose. In July 2010, Jozef K. reportedly gave an envelope with unspecified sum to barrister Ladislav Š. who, together with Peter J., gave the envelope to Michal B. On following day, the money went to the unknown judge of the Supreme Court, the prosecutor claimed, as reported by SITA.

Ľuboš K. was eventually released.

The charged men have denied the accusations. Michal B. confirmed before the court that Ladislav Š. and Peter J. had visited him asking whether there is any way to help Ľuboš K. The prosecutor saw nothing wrong with it and called judge Štefan M., told him about the request and asked him to look at it, as reported by the TASR newswire.

Michal B. also said that he wanted everything to be legal and that the case ended for him after he called the judge.

General Prosecutor Jaromír Čižnár submitted to the Constitutional Court a request to prosecute Supreme Court judge Štefan M. last year, but the court dismissed it, SITA wrote.

The court claimed that none of the evidence, including recordings of telephone conversations and video recordings, proved the crime had occurred. Though one picture shows Ladislav Š. and Michal B. with the envelope, which could have contained the bribe, the court claimed nobody has proved what was in it. Moreover, none of the recordings proved that there was corruption involved, TASR wrote.

Source: SITA, TASR

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Get daily Slovak news directly to your inbox

Top stories

News digest: Slovakia still dealing with the loss of its talent

Economy minister promises extensive support for hydrogen technologies in Slovakia. Far-right supporters protested in front of PM’s house during the weekend.

The far-right ĽSNS organised a protest in front of PM Igor Matovič's house in Trnava.

Hospital manners expose the toxicity of Kollár

Unjustified privileges overshadow some good news of the coalition's work. Halloween testing will not be repeated during advent time.

PM Igor Matovič (l) and Speaker of Parliament Boris Kollár

Sulík’s party benefits from the dispute with PM Matovič

The Hlas party of former PM Pellegrini is rising, too.

Economy Minister Richard Sulík (l) was charged by PM Igor Matovič (r) to purchase millions of antigen tests.

Anyone can publish a book. Authors often avoid publishers

Self-publishing is setting a new trend.

Nikoleta Kováčová has published two cookbooks without the aid of a publishing house.