Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Ex-journalist Teleki sues state

FORMER journalist Jana Teleki sued Slovakia for the criminal prosecution she faced for 16 years, and asks for compensation at €500,000, the TASR newswire reported on October 15.

FORMER journalist Jana Teleki sued Slovakia for the criminal prosecution she faced for 16 years, and asks for compensation at €500,000, the TASR newswire reported on October 15.

Teleki submitted the lawsuit to one of the Bratislava’s courts, said her lawyer David Zahumenský, asking for caused non-pecuniary damage. It concerns the fact that she has been repeatedly prosecuted though she had not committed any punishable crime, the lawyer explained, as reported by TASR.

The prosecution of Teleki started in 1998 for publishing a satiric poem and other articles about then mayor of Považská Bystrica, a member of the Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (HZDS), in her newspaper. She also had problems with police, prosecutor’s office and courts. Because of the prosecution she moved to Prague last year, TASR wrote.

In 1999 Teleki was charged with committing crime of attacking public official and with libel. In 2013 she was accused of slander because of her critical comments on the criminal bodies. The prosecution was stopped last summer in her absence. The reason was that it was not a crime, Zahumenský explained to TASR. According to him, Teleki is not prosecuted at the moment.

The lawyer added that the criminal prosecution of his client not only was illegal, but was also very long. As a result, Teleki was exposed to mental pressure and it was more difficult for her to do her journalistic work more properly, TASR wrote.

Teleki asks for one part of the compensation as lost profit, since she served as publisher of Aspekt weekly in the past, and another part as harm of her reputation.

The Justice Ministry, which Teleki is suing, said it still has not received the lawsuit. It added it will comment on it during the proceeding.

Bratislava Regional Court spokesman Pavol Adamčiak said that they received the lawsuit on October 13, TASR wrote.

Source: TASR

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Long-neglected Renaissance house in Bratislava’s centre reveals its secrets Photo

The National Trust is bringing the historical Rómer’s house back to life.

Renaissance Rómer’s house in the Bratislava's Old Town

Slovak healthcare needs thousands of medical workers

Slovak doctors, nurses and midwives are not hesitating in finding better work conditions abroad.

Illustrative Stock Photo

News isn’t negative because journalists are cynical

The problem is caused by the demand side.

RE-inventing modern theatre Photo

This year's international theatre festival REvolves around the prefix “re”, playing with its meanings and connotations, while also commemorating the years in (Czecho-)Slovak history ending with 8.

TR Warsaw: My Struggle