Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Failed candidate for constitutional judge demands punishment for advisors to Kiska

SUPREME Court judge Zuzana Ďurišová and Banská Bystrica regional judge Juraj Babjak were members of the consultancy committee of President Andrej Kiska that assessed candidates for constitutional judges. Now they both face a threat of disciplinary prosecution due to unpaid membership in the committee.

SUPREME Court judge Zuzana Ďurišová and Banská Bystrica regional judge Juraj Babjak were members of the consultancy committee of President Andrej Kiska that assessed candidates for constitutional judges. Now they both face a threat of disciplinary prosecution due to unpaid membership in the committee.

Failed candidate for constitutional judge Ján Bernát has turned to Justice Minister Tomáš Borec to evaluate whether they did not commit a serious disciplinary offence. He insists that they worked for executive power which is allowed only if their performance of judicial function is adjourned. Borec passed the motion to the Judicial Council which should decide over the matter on October 20, the Sme daily reported on same day.

“It is really poor and absolutely groundless,” Ďurišová commented on Bernát’s motion, as quoted by Sme. Babjak has been reportedly surprised as well and reminded that already in the past he sat on a consultancy body for preparing laws.

Bernát is on of five candidates whom President Andrej Kiska rejected to appoint for Constitutional Court judges and who are challenging Kiska’s decision at the aforementioned court, according to Sme.

One of the rejected candidates, Juraj Sopoliga, said that the complaint delivered to the Constitutional Court should contribute to solving the law problem since Kiska’s decisions related to the court are questionable. For example, Kiska’s setting up of an advisory committee on the selection of candidates could be a contravention of the Constitution, Sopoliga told private broadcaster TA3 in mid September, according to TASR.

(Source: Sme, TASR, TA3)

Compiled by Roman Cuprik from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

Top stories

No Slovaks among the victims of Manchester attack so far

The representatives of Slovakia have expressed their sympathy to the families of the victims.

Police guard close to the Manchester Arena in Manchester, Britain, on May 23, 2017, a day after an explosion.

It's not your Slovakia, Bystrica protesters told Kotleba

President Andrej Kiska spoke to the crowd at the protest gathering, asking Slovaks what kind of country they want to have.

Lajčák gives two versions of the Evka story

The Foreign Ministry gives opposing statements about suspicious procurement related to the Slovak Presidency over the EU Council.

Government of PM Robert Fico (left) endorses Lajčák as its official candidate.

Napoleon’s oak planted in Bratislava's Tyršovo Embankment Photo

An oak of Napoleonic legend was replanted, part of a commemoration spanning several days.

Planting "Naopoleon's oak" on May 20, 2017.