A PROSECUTOR’S office has scrapped charges against Ladislav Košecký, the former director of state-run company MH Development, who was dismissed in November for hiring a car from his own company with public money and paying his personal fines from MH Development’s coffers, the Aktualne.sk news website reported on December 17.
“A prosecutor of the Regional Prosecutor’s Office in Bratislava has scrapped the charges pressed by a National Anti-corruption Unit investigator following a complaint submitted by the charged person ... as the charges were deemed to have been released prematurely and without having clarified all circumstances concerning the matter,” said Regional Prosecutor’s Office’s spokesman Oliver Janíček, as quoted by Aktualne.sk.
The issue has now been returned to the investigator.
Interior Minister Robert Kaliňák does not think the case will disappear. He said that he believes a crime had been committed, the SITA newswire wrote.
Kaliňák went on to say he did not see the explanation of the prosecutor’s office and does not know why the charges were dropped. He added they always respect the decision of the prosecutor’s office. He did not want to make any conclusions, as reported by SITA.
The dubious activities at MH Development were revealed by independent MP Miroslav Beblavý who sent a letter to Economy Minister Pavol Pavlis in late October informing him that Košecký had been renting a Toyota Land Cruiser from the company Mertimex, which he owns. He also said Košecký used state money to pay off the fine of nearly €13,000 he received from the parliamentary committee for conflict of interest for having a position in a state firm and simultaneously managing a private firm, which is forbidden by law, the Sme daily reported.
Košecký was subsequently dismissed from his post.
Source: Aktualne.sk, SITA, Sme
Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports
The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.
18. Dec 2014 at 10:00