Prosecutor drops charges against Procházka

THE OFFICE of the Special Prosecutor dropped charges against leader of the Sieť party Radoslav Procházka, the TA3 news channel reported on January 7. He was accused of attempted tax evasion, which relates to the recording where he allegedly asks Igor Matovič, leader of the Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO), to publish the advertising in his family-owned regional mailbox newspaper partially off the books.

THE OFFICE of the Special Prosecutor dropped charges against leader of the Sieť party Radoslav Procházka, the TA3 news channel reported on January 7. He was accused of attempted tax evasion, which relates to the recording where he allegedly asks Igor Matovič, leader of the Ordinary People and Independent Personalities (OĽaNO), to publish the advertising in his family-owned regional mailbox newspaper partially off the books.

The police launched investigation of the case last September. The investigator first halted the criminal prosecution, but the prosecutor had different opinion and charged Procházka. The Sieť leader objected to the decision, the SITA newswire wrote.

“Based on the precaution of the general prosecutor from December 10, special prosecutor Dušan Kováčik was charged with supervising the case last year, who after scrutinising the investigation file and objection of accused R. P. accepted the complaint on December 18 and dismissed the decision to lay charges against R. P. as groundless,” said Jana Tökölyová, spokeswoman for the Office of the Special Prosecutor, as quoted by SITA.

The investigation file was returned to police for further proceeding, she added.

“I have not commented on the steps of the prosecutor’s office since the beginning, but loyal to the principle of the equality before the law I offered that cooperation that was asked for,” Procházka told TA3.

Source: SITA, TA3

Compiled by Radka Minarechová from press reports

The Slovak Spectator cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information presented in its Flash News postings.

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Top stories

Six people involved in the surveillance of journalists, Kočner paid thousands

People who followed journalists for Kočner are trying to rid themselves of guilt.

Peter Tóth

Trump will meet Pellegrini at the White House

The two politicians will discuss defence and economic cooperation this May.

The White House

After historical sights in Slovakia have burned, is there better fire protection?

Kunerad Castle in the Žilina Region has burned down twice in eight years, and Krásna Hôrka is still undergoing construction seven years after burning.

Krásna Hôrka Castle caught fire in March 2012.

Taxpayers still pay for former PM Fico's bodyguards

The Interior Ministry refuses to say why or reveal how much Fico's security costs.

Smer head Robert Fico.