Spectator on facebook

Spectator on facebook

Thieves plundered mediaeval castle, reconstruction by volunteers stopped

THE MEDIAEVAL castle of Hrušov, which has been repaired and renovated by volunteers for several years, has been robbed. Thieves took everything they could, including dishes, cutlery, and soft drinks for the volunteers.

Hrušov Castle(Source: Sme)

At the end of May, the volunteers one morning came to find their equipment, tools, devices – including weed whacker, concrete mixer, generator, wheelbarrow and smaller items like masonry tools, shovels, but also all dishes, cutlery, etc,” Stanislava Blahová of the Leustach civic association which organises the works told the Nitra regional newspaper of the Sme daily. They even stole the drinks meant for the people working there, she added.

She and her husband as teachers managed to inspire young people to come and help, but now they cannot continue, as they lack basic equipment.

“This is inhuman, that the association based on volunteering and resorting to support of donors is robbed of all technical and material means, which it has acquired so painfully and slowly, Blahová said, adding that it is a shame, and a mystery at the same time – because it is not easy “to pack a concrete mixer or a wheel-barrow into a pocket, or even a car”.

The damage is estimated at €3,500 and the case is being investigated by police.

The Hrušov Castle, a national cultural monument, was built at the end of 13th century, with the tower being added in the next century. For about 400 years, it thrived as a defence point controlling a crucial mountain road. After being robbed by imperial armies in 1708, it started dilapidating – which was only interrupted when Czechoslovak president Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk ordered it to be repaired in the beginning 20th century.

Since then, it remained unused and unrepaired until recently, volunteers began trying to return it to its former glory. 

The processing of personal data is subject to our Privacy Policy and the Cookie Policy. Before submitting your e-mail address, please make sure to acquaint yourself with these documents.

Topic: Tourism and travel in Slovakia


Top stories

Welcome to Slovakia?

Following Henry Acorda’s horrific killing, businesses need to stand up.

June 8 gathering in Bratislava

Czech PM files lawsuit against Slovakia at ECHR

Czech Premier Andrej Babiš sues his homeland in the European Court for Human Rights in connection with records proving his collaboration with the communist-era secret police.

Andrej Babiš

For a Decent Slovakia organise another protest for June 22

At the same time, they are suing ex-PM Robert Fico, in response to his statements made during the protest rallies in February, citing fear-mongering and defamation.

For a Decent Slovakia represenattives - L-R: Lukáš Füle, Karolína Farská, Juraj Šeliga and Veronika Bruncková - filed a suit against ex-PM Robert Fico June 15.